Thursday, September 4, 2008

What a difference a year (or even just the summer) makes!


For the past two years, Brit and Zach have had daily planners in their school bags for writing down homework and anything else they need to remember. Getting them to actually write anything in those planners was a nightmare. Literally months could go by without a single word being written down. Getting privileges taken away, getting rewards for progress, yelling, pleading .... nothing worked to make a bit of difference.

Now, they are the ripe old age of 9 1/2 and suddenly, not only are they writing in their planners every day, they're writing virtual novels - and neatly too (see attached post photo)!

The trick? Well, with Brit it was getting her a High School Musical themed daily planner. "It's so gorgeous, I just HAVE to keep it pretty. And I like seeing all of the Gabriella pictures, so I like writing in it!" For Zach? I haven't a clue. I'm just glad he's writing his homework down finally LOL.

Meged is such a funny kid. She's got this idea that she already needs to know the stuff they'll be working on in school. So she's all stressed out wondering how she's supposed to do multiplication if she doesn't even know how to do 3-digit addition yet. This from the kid who already knows how to read (and kids here aren't expected to even know how to write the alphabet upon entering 1st grade). She also knows how to do all of the math work expected of a kid at the end of 1st grade. I keep trying to explain that her teacher will "teach" her what she needs to know....that's why she's called a "teacher". But I don't think Meged really buys my story. She wants to bring every one of her books to school every day too, even though the teacher said they don't need any books until at least the middle of next week. Yet every night, Meged says "But what if we need them tomorrow? I won't be able to do the work if I don't have them with me!" Poor troubled soul....

Holly has taken up DIY of late. She takes her little battery operated drill around the house and tries to "fix" everything...even her inflatable pool ring. And what with all the hammering and sawing she does in her room, I half expect for her to grab some wood and build a bookcase or something.

No comments: