Sunday, May 25, 2008

...the living is easy


Ah, summertime. I love this time of year. Especially before the August heat waves hit! But seriously, I could practically sing the song about my own life. All except for the cotton. Not much of that growing in my garden. Not any, to be completely honest. But we do have fairly tall butterfly weed attracting all sorts of pretty things, so it's not all bad. And Daddy may not be rich financially, but rich can come in so many other forms. My family is my most precious commodity and they make me endlessly wealthy.

Speaking of butterflies in the garden, Meged (my six year old daughter) brought home some caterpillars from her after school garden class. I had to actually resort to pilfering a few leaves from the garden center to feed the little guys before they started construction on their little cottony condos. But I digress. It's so nice to see Meged enjoying these little babies of hers, checking on them every day after school, giddy with excitement about the day they'll finally emerge from their cocoons. I don't know if I should tell her that the chances of her actually standing next to the box on the day they begin to unfold their wings are pretty slim. I figure it's best to let her enjoy this while it lasts and hope for the best. Next year we'll construct a proper butterfly hutch so she can be sure to witness their first day out in the fresh air. Or I could stop putting it off and just make one now for her. I just hope it's not too late.

... pause for summer ...

Funny, I just found this draft from back in May. I guess I forgot to complete the post after I went out and made aforementioned butterfly hutch. It turned out rather rickety, but Meged didn't care or even notice as far as I know. The butterflies sprang forth from their cocoons a few weeks later and in a splendid display of anticlimax never left the box....but rather went about their business making more babies and then died. Meged was, fortunately, not too devastated by this suicidal behavior.

It's now just a blink away from September and the beginning of the school year. This was our best summer ever. Hence the utter lack of posts since May - we were too busy having fun to sit down and blog! I'll miss the kids when they go back to school. We truly had a lovely time together these past nine weeks and more than ever I feel so blessed to be mother to these four most amazing children.

No comments: