Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Time flies.....


It's been a long time since my last post. That's how it is with kids. You get up to get a cup of coffee and by the time you sit down to drink it, 3 months have gone by. Anyway, life is one big moving picture and trying to capture some of it's essence is tricky.

Brit and Zach are completing their first book report assignment for school. It may seem like no big deal to the casual observer. But to me it's this...thing...ominous, foreboding and resolute - telling me my little kids really aren't so little anymore. And there's just no way for me to bury my head in the sand about it any longer. I think next year will be harder when they hit the double digits.

Watching your kids grow up is a bittersweet thing. You want so desperately to hold on to them being little and cherubic and forever ready for hugs and kisses and cuddles...always saying and doing the cutest things that make you want to just nibble on them a bit. Oh, yeah, they can be pains in the ass too. No doubt about it. But when they're cute, man are they ever CUTE! But as they grow you get to watch this metamorphosis that quite often just leaves you breathless. From little pitter-pattery toddlers who think the string from an old helium balloon is the greatest thing they've ever seen to preteens having their first crushes, spending the night at friend's houses, and learning about sex. I sometimes wish we had a 24 hour video recording system making a permanent record of every moment of their lives - including the kids temper tantrums and the times I've had my own near tantrums out of frustration after a long day of bad behavior from the kids. It's all part of this magical thing called "childhood" and the good wouldn't be as good without the bad for balance. And when they're grown and off living their own lives away from us, I know I'll want to sit down and have a good cry in front of an old home movie, watching them at their most charming and irresistable.

Don't grow up too fast kids. Mommy needs you little for a while yet.

No comments: